The New Saints’ European campaign came to an end after they failed to overturn a 2-0 deficit in their second qualifying round second leg.

Icelandic side Víkingur Reykjavik arrived in Oswestry just needing to avoid defeat after their victory last week and they did that by securing a goalless draw.

While TNS started brightly they could not find the early breakthrough and despite registering 13 shots it wasn't until the 83rd minute that the home side had fired one on target.

TNS manager Anthony Limbrick told S4C's Sgorio there could be no complaints, despite the contentious second penalty in the first leg.

He acknowledged his side were simply unable to match Víkingur.

"We've got to admit that side is better than us," the Australian said: "the better side won."

Though he didn't agree his side "lacked spark" the manager said: "We failed to create enough good quality chances."

The disappointing European run, which started in the Champions League qualifying rounds with TNS back in the main competition for the first time in three years, had offered hope that the Welsh champions could progress.

A first leg victory, at home, over Northern Ireland champions Linfield, however ended in extra time defeat in the second leg and the second chance, as they dropped into the Europa Conference draw, saw TNS fail to make an impact.

But Limbrick was philosophical telling Sgorio: "It's fine margins. We were a minute away from drawing against Linfield, people would have said that's a fantastic defensive peformance."

Tonight's performance underlined the manager's point about a failture to create sufficient, quality chances.

TNS only registered their first clear shot on target - of both legs of the tie - with 83 minutes played when Declan McManus' powerful shot forced a save from Ingvar Jonsson in the Víkingur goal.

And while the home side were, as their manager side, "busy" it was still the visitors who looked the sharpest at Park Hall.

Kristall Ingason, the man who tore TNS apart in Reykjavik last Thursday, showed some classy touches for the visitors. With their two goal lead seemingly never under threat he didn't need to extend himself before his transfer to Norwegian side Rosenborg on August 1.

But two minutes before he was taken off with just over 20 minutes to play the Icelandic international looked as if he would claim his third goal of the tie with a delicate touch as he connected with a ball floated into the TNS box but just poked his shot wide.


Veterans Jon Routledge and Ryan Brobbel, the scoring hero in the first leg against Linfield, both returned to the TNS side while Leo Smith, who was well below par in the first leg, was dropped from the starting eleven.

Newtown remain in Europe as they play their second leg against Spartak Trnava, at Park Hall, on Thursday.

The Robins will need to overcome a three goal defecit, having lost last week's away leg in Slovakia 4-1, just to draw level. The game can be seen via S4C'S Sgorio You Tube channel from 6pm.


Roberts, Pask, Astles, Marriott, Cieslewicz, Routledge, Brobbel, Redmond, Williams, Clark, McManus

Subs: Atherton, Davies, Daniels, Hudson, Smith, Canvan, Kirkman, Lock, Grogan, Warder, Cornish

If you value The National's journalism, help grow our team of reporters by becoming a subscriber.