THE New Saints held off a late charge by Barry Town United to extend their lead at the top of the JD Cymru Premier to a dozen points after the match involving their closest rivals was rained off.

While Flint Town United’s home clash with Caernarfon Town fell to the weather, Newtown and Penybont, in third and fourth respectively, took the chance to make ground on the Silkmen.

Their matches produced a total of 14 goals between them, but there were none in Connah’s Quay and Haverfordwest where four teams battled out a pair of 0-0 draws.

TNS host Rhys Griffiths’ Penybont in Saturday’s tea-time kick-off following a 2-1 victory over eighth-placed Barry, who certainly gave the league leaders a run for their money at Jenner Park.

Danny Redmond gave the visitors the perfect start with a goal inside the opening five minutes, and it was a stunning 25-yard strike that did the damage.

Anthony Limbrick’s men got the all-important second just after the hour courtesy of Jordan Williams, who found the bottom corner on 63 minutes.

But Theo Wharton’s clinical finish seven minutes later gave Barry hope, although TNS stood firm to claim a 13th win of the season.

Meanwhile, Nick Rushton netted a hat-trick as Newtown beat Aberystwyth Town 4-2 at Park Avenue to move level on points with Flint.

James Davies was also on the scoresheet for Chris Hughes’ men, while Sam Phillips and Rhys Davies replied for the Seasiders, who stay 10th in the table.

Top scorers of the weekend were Penybont as they put Cefn Druids to the sword in Bridgend.

Sam Snaith, James Waite and Lewis Harling all scored braces for the hosts after Kai Owen’s opener.

Niall Flint netted a consolation for the league’s bottom club, who have now conceded 50 goals in their first 16 games of the campaign.

Elsewhere, Connah's Quay Nomads were held by Cardiff Met at Deeside Stadium and Haverfordwest County secured a point against Bala Town to go level with Aberystwyth.

Flint's game against Caernarfon was rescheduled for Tuesday night but fell to the weather again.