ABERYSTWYTH Town’s sterling defensive effort finally ended Swansea City’s flawless start to the Genero Adran Premier season and put them in the box seat to claim fourth place before the split.

Gavin Allen’s side travelled to Llandarcy to face the reigning league champions just 10 days after losing 3-0 to them at Park Avenue.

The Swans went into Sunday’s game boasting a perfect record of 11 wins from as many matches, a run that had seen them open a six-point advantage on the chasing pack.

But Allen’s troops stuck to their task and Chris Church’s Swansea dropped points for the first time this term.

Their lead at the summit is now down to four following comfortable wins for Cardiff City and Cardiff Met.

Meanwhile, Aberystwyth are three points clear of fifth-placed Pontypridd Town with one fixture left before the league splits.

The Seasiders go to Port Talbot Town this Sunday knowing that fourth is theirs if they avoid defeat, and even if they do lose then it would be up to Pontypridd to win in Barry for them to snatch it.

Fern Burrage-Male’s Pontypridd could have leapfrogged Aberystwyth last weekend but they came up against a very strong Cardiff City outfit.

Mighty Dragons were in search of a big result in the top four race but came up against a strong Cardiff City side.

Ffion Price, Catherine Walsh and Danielle Green’s double gave the Bluebirds a 4-0 victory in Treforest.

City and capital rivals Cardiff Met lock horns in the standout game this Sunday, with both looking to claim second place outright.

The Archers hold the edge with a superior goal difference, something they boosted by thrashing Barry Town United 7-1 last time out.

Laura-May Walkley, Olivia Thompson and Ellie Preece made it 3-0 at the break in Cyncoed, although Met manager Yzzy Taylor was sent to the stands after two yellow cards in quick succession.

Megan Bowen gave the Linnets hope but Thompson’s second, Lauren Hutton-Townsend, who also missed a penalty, and Elianna Chavez (2) clinched it for the hosts.

It was like Groundhog Day for Barry, who suffered a second 7-1 thrashing on successive Sundays in the Welsh capital.

Now bottom of the table, Barry have shipped 14 goals in their last two league games following a defeat by the same scoreline against Cardiff City.

Port Talbot’s outside chances of snatching fourth were ended as they lost 2-0 at The New Saints.

The Saints registered just their second league success thanks to first-half goals from Caitlin Chapman and Lexie Harrison, whose miss from the spot had given Chapman the chance to break the deadlock.

Andy Williams’ Saints, now in seventh, go to Swansea on Sunday.

The last two matches of the first part of the season take place next week.

On Wednesday, Swansea host Port Talbot, and on Thursday it’s the reverse fixture between the two Cardiff teams in Cyncoed.