WALES is officially in the midst of a drought.

However this is far from the first time there has been concern the water supply couold be left with little in reserve.

While the current drought isn't a threat to water supplies in the autumn of 1887, Montgomeryshire was in the grip of a seemingly never ending heatwave.

Colonel George Lloyd-Verney of Clochfaen in Llangurig learned the village was ill supplied with water.

Clochfaen. Picture by David Purchase/Geograph.

Early in the following year he set about to remedy this unsatisfactory condition and drew up a scheme that 'afforded an abundant supply of water at all times.'

With characteristic generosity Mrs Lloyd-Verney also resolved to increase the supply by erecting at another source - a large tank which had been designed to supply much of the village.

Mrs Lloyd-Verney also funded a memorial fountain in the village centre for the use of the public.

The County Times reported: 'It is colossal in size and pretty in design, and the materials of which it is built are the best. All the work was done by Mr J T Humphreys and Mr George.

'The people of the village very highly appreciate this generous work.

Llangurig Church. Picture by Phil Halling/Geograph.

The following inscription is engraved in gilt letters on the polished granite tablet placed on the fountain 'Colonel George Hope Lloyd-Verney, the first water supply in 1883, to the village of Llangurig.

This was extended and completed by Mrs Lloyd-Verney in 1899, as a memorial of her husband's work.

The memorial fountain in Llangurig. Picture Tiger/Geograph.

Other towns also experienced drought during the late 19th century.

In 1896 the County Times reported 'some anxiety has been expressed in the town concerning the supply of water to Welshpool.'

Public ire had been directed at the continued supply of water to the Cambrian Railways Company which had donated half their daily supply back to the town while the protracted drought continued.

The town council reported to have 'sufficient water in their reservoir to last eight weeks providing there is an exhibition to economise on the part of the townspeople generally.'

It is likely the reservoir was the Dairy Pool in Powis Castle Park or the Black Pool Reservoir.

Meanwhile it was decided to cut off the supply between 5.30pm to 8am until the reservoir was replenished by rainfall.

Appeals were made to the public to be economical in the consumption of water 'to avert the incalculable calamity of an entire exhaustion of the supply' though largely fell on deaf ears.