A Pembrokeshire man who admitted murdering an 18-year-old girl in Pembroke last December should have been sentenced at Swansea Crown Court today (Thursday,  July 7), but the hearing has been adjourned by the judge.

Judge Paul Thomas QC stressed that an adjournment was necessary before he could reach his decision regarding Haines' sentence.

"It's very important that this matter is dealt with as soon as possible but it's equally important that I get the sentence right," he said.

The next hearing is expected to take place by the end of this month. 

Lewis Haines is due to be sentenced at Swansea Crown Court for the murder of Lily Sullivan. The hearing has been adjourned.Lily Sullivan

Members of Lily Sullivan's family were present in court, awaiting the sentence.

Judge Paul Thomas QC apologised to them for today's unprecedent turn of events.

"I'm terribly sorry that we can't deal with this today," he said.

 "It must be terribly frustrating for all of you, having psyched yourselves up, simply to find that we can't go to  sentence today.  I am sorry.

"But the most important thing here is to make the sentence right.  So with my real apologies, we'll try to find a date that's acceptable."

Lily Sullivan’s body was found in the Mill Pond area of the town in the early hours of Friday December 17.

Lewis Haines is due to be sentenced at Swansea Crown Court for the murder of Lily Sullivan. The hearing has been adjourned.The Mill Pond

Lewis Haines, 31, of Flemish Court, Lamphey, Pembrokeshire, had been due to stand trial for murder on June 20. He had previously pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of manslaughter.

In a hearing at Swansea Crown Court on Monday, June 13, Haines changed his plea to guilty.

READ MORE: Man admits the murder of 18-year-old Lily Sullivan days before Christmas

Following her death, Miss Sullivan's family had released a statement.

"Lily was a kind and caring daughter", it read.

"She will be deeply missed by everyone.  The family are very thankful to all of Lily's friends for their support."