Travel agents and companies across Wales are waiting for a report into international travel as they deal with a surge in requests for foreign holidays.

The UK Government has said international travel will not be allowed before May 17, however a report from its Global Travel Taskforce is expected to provide further clarity when it is released on April 12.

Last month, Welsh travel businesses saw a sharp increase in bookings and enquiries, prompting them to call for a clear four nation approach to reopening international travel.

Suzanne Cumpston, sales and commercial manager for Sam Smith Travel in Cowbridge, told The National: “We are waiting with bated breath for the taskforce’s report to the prime minister.

“We believe international travel is still set to resume on May 17, we just don’t know in what capacity.

“There are still too many conflicting messages and hopefully there will be more clarity on April 12.”

The Airport Operators Association, have also previously called for a clear approach from all four of the UK’s governments, adding it is vitally important that the UK government includes the devolved governments in decision making.

READ MORE:

On Friday, First Minister Mark Drakeford told The National that the Welsh Government is feeding is concerns on the issue of reopening foreign travel into discussions with UK Government counterparts.

Mr Drakeford said: “I definitely want it to be done in a way that does not rerun the risk of the virus being reimported into Wales from overseas.

“I want the decision to be made in the full knowledge of the new variants that can pop up around the globe.

“We don’t want to stop people going abroad, we just had an experience in September where people came from many destinations in Europe and brought the virus with them.

“We need a plan that has taken that into account and doesn’t risk everything we have done together.”